Saturday, February 11, 2006

Sign of the Times

In post-modern times less became more and more became less. An interesting thought, one I ascribe to whole heartedly on topics such as perfume in elevators, commuting time, bad sex and televised sports. It's all very existential and lovely, but wears on the psyche after a bit as people begin to take it too far. So today in the current-after-post-modern-pre-future-follow-up times we are definitely back to more is more and less is less, which I also support on topics such as beach time, ingenious friends, good sex, and Gross National Income. It's more linear and easier to make your case for having that extra doughnut or that extra war. It works for everybody.

Last Monday's Retail Therapy Extravaganza falls firmly under the "more is more" category, and so today I went with more. After some deeply rewarding iTunes CD shopping I again hit the lovely Bed Bath and Beyond (holy hand grenade but that place is the greatest) and then began to wander the Sub-Urban-Shopping-Hub, the S.U.S.H., also known as The Mall. The modern S.U.S.H. is also strictly following the concept of "more is more", as this one spans about four to five city blocks worth of space, has stunning architecture and every product from feather roach clips (yes they do still sell these *shudder*) to heart shaped dog beds to 72" plasma TV's. I do not care to own any of these things as they all seem a bit vulgar and in bad taste, but the books at Borders are fantastic, the port from World Market is very tasty, and the frames from Bombay are quite dapper.

My last stop was Best Buy, the best current-after-post-modern-pre-future-follow-up times place for all one's computer and electronic needs. My needs consisted of photo paper on which to print pictures for all these glorious new frames, but I like to smell the electronics a bit too. As I walked up to the door, a new VW Beetle confidently whizzed up onto the wide curb just to the left of the entry way doors, the fading daylight illuminating the shiny black and white paint job and the curiously brash orange oval on the side door emblazoned with "Geek Squad".

Out stepped one Geek, which I think hardly constitutes a Squad, but I have to assume his fellow Squadron Geeks must have arrived earlier and had taken all the parking spots. He was wearing a white polo shirt and black slacks, he had a cell phone attached to his belt and a shnazzy Blue Tooth wireless headset firmly hugging one ear. His hair was shortish brown and a bit spiky, stylish enough to look clean cut, but defiantly unkempt enough to be edgy. He was almost certainly in his mid twenties with sideburns, a chin goatee, and just a tiny bit of a belly, one that said "I write code, I don't go to the gym," but that youth was still keeping in check.

He strode to the doorway and a swagger in his step and nearly arrogant confidence. And he was quite frankly kind of hot.

I literally laughed out loud at the little "woof" that unwillingly leapt to my lips. But there he was, in all his techy glory, a hot little Geek Squad geek. I thought, "wow, the nerds have made it...", which I am somewhat happy about as I have quite a large bit of nerd in me as well. I play online video games and have been known to say "That's so cool!" about somewhat ridiculous things and with a bit too much enthusiasm. That part of me certainly identifies with geekdom.

After all the more more more of the evening, he was a refreshing sight I must say. The geeks fly in the face of the current-after-post-modern-pre-future-follow-up times. They are more for their lessness. They are less when they attempt more. They are an existential challenge to the bloated greed of today. They may own a 42" LCD screen, but they have it in their studio apartment. And the Geek Squadron drives in new Beetles, the anti-SUV. They are a harbinger of changing times I think, when cars are again going to get small, tasteful color schemes will arise and nuance will win out over blustery exaggeration.

I've been feeling for awhile now that there is a change in the air, a shifting of direction. Perhaps in that feeling I am projecting, but I took today's Hot Geek Sighting to be another sign. Times I think they are a changin', and so far the direction looks kind of hot in a headset.

1 comment:

Sean said...

I, young lady, am living in the Gay World. Here the Port is Tasty, Frames are Dapper, Shoes are Fabulous, and everyone has Great Hair. Except for the lesbians, but we forgive them, they add contrast and fix the plumbing.