Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Halloween in Baghdad

A short, funny, and perhaps slightly terrifying Halloween story for you all out there. There are sorority girls involved, so the weak of constitution should perhaps move on to the next blog.

This past Saturday night was Adult Halloween. More specifically Gay Adult Halloween. We don't go door to door for candy (well, figuratively speaking perhaps, but that's beside the point) we go bar to bar for booze, and that always works out better on a Saturday night, as opposed to a Monday night, AKA this year's Kiddy Halloween. My Scary Gay Halloween started in an elevator.

I was on my way home from picking up last minute supplies for my costume and stepped into the shopping center parking garage elevator with two 20-ish, blond, dressed to the hilt, Paris Hilton-meets-Britney Spears sorority girls. There are 6 levels to this particular parking garage. Since numbers are no longer adequate to remember the floor you came from, they also color code them, name each level after a major world city, along with a picture representative of each location. The first level is Seattle, the next Hong Kong, etc etc down to Bangkok and Sydney. If you can't at this point find your level I think you are then considered too stupid to operate your car and it is confiscated, or if that's not the policy then it should be.

I was headed to Bangkok and the Girls where headed to Sydney. The discussion started even before the doors had closed, and went something like this.

Girl #1 "Sydney is cool, I wish I were there right now"

Girl #2 "Yeah"

#1 "It's way cooler than all these other ghetto places", gesturing to the other locations listed by the buttons. I am at this point just about to step out onto my floor, 5/Orange/Bangkok/Thai Buddha Statue Picture.


#2 "Yeah, totally. Bangkok.... isn't that where they've been dropping all the bombs in Iraq?"

I literally choke with laughter as I'm stepping off the elevator, reeling from what I've just heard.

#1 "Uh...", now confused, "I think that's Baghdad...." As the full force of this exchange hits me I double over laughing hysterically, the doors slide shut behind me, the girls still debating where the bombs are landing. I'm not sure that they even realized why I was laughing. I laughed until I nearly cried.

It was Straight Adult Halloween for the most part that night as well, perhaps they were just dressed up as Colossally Stupid and Achingly Slow for their costumes... but I somehow doubt it.

No comments: